Tuesday, July 28, 2015

My Cherie Amour

Film: Silver Linings Playbook
Format: Streaming video from NetFlix on rockin’ flatscreen.

Silver Linings Playbook has been sitting on one of my DVD shelves since before I started focusing on Oscar films. Actually, that’s not quite true; it’s actually been sitting on the shelves shared by my daughters. My older daughter was mildly obsessed with this movie for a short time in part because she was also a huge fan of Hunger Games, and thus loved everything Jennifer Lawrence did. However, when I decided to finally watch it, it was nowhere to be found. Streaming, here we come.

As one of the last people in the country to see this, I’m likely covering known territory when I talk about the story, but that’s what I do here. Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper) is being released from an 8-month stint in a mental institution caused by his complete breakdown when he found his wife Nikki (Brea Bee) with another man in the shower. Pat has used his time in the institution to get back in physical shape and to try to work on his anger issues, some of which he seems to have inherited from his father, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro).

Now out, Pat’s goal is to reconnect with his wife and try to put his life back together. The fact that there is a restraining order against him preventing him from coming closer than 500 feet makes this difficult, but he is determined to rebuild the life that he had, even if that’s really impossible. Shortly after his release, he finds his friend Ronnie (John Ortiz), who invites him to dinner. At that dinner, Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), the sister of Ronnie’s wife. Tiffany is a young widow who went through her own serious breakdown when her husband died. The two compare different medications before Tiffany decides she’s had enough of her sister and leaves with Pat following.

The plot turns on three main ideas. First and second, Pat desperately wants to get back with Nikki and sees Tiffany as a conduit through Ronnie’s wife Veronica (Julia Stiles), who is Tiffany’s sister. All he wants is for her to deliver a letter to Nikki. But Tiffany won’t do this without a little quid pro quo. What she wants is to participate in an upcoming dance competition. She’ll deliver Pat’s letter if he’ll agree to be her partner in the dance competition.

Third, Pat Sr. has lost his job and is currently making his living as a bookie and is saving up for a restaurant. He is convinced that his son is a good luck charm for a variety of Philadelphia teams, particularly the Eagles. Pat Jr.’s time with Tiffany is taking away from his time with his father and specifically during Eagles games. Everything falls apart when Pat Sr. bets everything on an Eagles game that he sends his son to. Pat Jr., trying to defend his Indian therapist Dr. Patel (Anupam Kher) from racist Eagles fans, is kicked out and the Eagles lose. However, Tiffany comes to the rescue, informing him that all of the Philadelphia teams do better when she has been with Pat. And so a new bet is born, a double-or-nothing parlay in which the Eagles have to beat the Cowboys and Pat and Tiffany must score a particular number at their dance competition. And, of course, there are additional complications.

Silver Linings Playbook works by an interesting formula, and it’s one that took me some time to understand. For the first half of the movie or so, I really disliked all of the characters except Pat’s mother Dolores (Jacki Weaver). These are people with real mental illnesses. This is not kooky, fun “movie” crazy, but people with real emotional disturbances going through real things. They are violent and out of control and unstable. That’s a hard sell for me. And yet, just as I was starting to adjust or perhaps because I’d adjusted, just before the midpoint and just after, there are a couple of moments where Pat, Tiffany, and Pat Sr. especially become real people. They are more than their various mental illnesses, but actual people simply trying to get along in the world and figure things out as best they can. Suddenly, I wanted them all to be okay, or at least just to have someone tell them that everything was going to be okay.

Silver Linings Playbook trades on its performances and is one of those rare films nominated in all four acting categories—Actor (Bradley Cooper), Actress (Jennifer Lawrence), Supporting Actor (Robert De Niro), and Supporting Actress (Jacki Weaver). Anupam Kher is in many ways the most likable character in the film for much of the running time. There’s even a surprisingly good performance from Chris Tucker as Danny, one of Pat’s fellow inmates at the institution. It’s one of the first times I’ve seen a movie featuring Tucker where I didn’t immediately want to slap him across the face to get him to shut up. It’s nice seeing De Niro doing something that doesn’t feel like its tarnishing his image again.

Ultimately, I liked Silver Linings Playbook in most respects. I appreciate that it feels like a much more realistic perspective on living with mental illness. It punts the ending a little bit by giving us perhaps more happy-happy than it earns, but I can kind of forgive that. In its own way, it does earn the ending by giving us characters we come to care about. We want the happy ending, and so it works.

Why to watch Silver Linings Playbook: It puts the fun in dysfunctional.
Why not to watch: The first hour might be a little rough.

8 comments:

  1. I think you liked this about the same as I did. My biggest "huh?" in regards to it is it's essentially a romantic comedy (boy meets girl, they have to spend time together and wackiness ensues, both have challenges they overcome, they realize they are in love), except done with very high profile cast and crew. Now I happen to like romantic comedies, so I like this movie, but critics tend to eviscerate them. For some reason most critics gave this film a pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might well be the strength of the cast. It might also be that rather than simply acting like people with mental illnesses, these characters actually were mentally ill. My objection to plenty of rom-coms is that the characters act like morons even though they're supposed to be competent people. Here, at least the movie is upfront about the characters being damaged.

      Delete
  2. I saw this movie a couple years back, yet somehow failed to write a review of it on my own blog. I enjoyed your take on the film, which I found surprisingly likable.

    I had help, though, in liking the movie. My route to appreciating the film came from having watched that Katie Couric talk-show interview (via YouTube) in 2013. On the show, De Niro broke down and cried when the topic turned to mental illness and its personal relevance to the filmmakers, especially to David O. Russell, who has a bipolar son. De Niro, too, apparently has a special-needs child, and that reality helped inform his performance. Having this background knowledge before I even saw the movie definitely fleshed out, for me, what was going on in Pat Sr.'s head as he dealt with his son. It also made me more compassionate than I might otherwise have been toward the film's other characters, all of whom are saddled with problems of their own. To be clear, I'm not saying I would have viewed the film with cold detachment had I not caught the De Niro interview, but I admit I might not have been quite as receptive to the characters' quirks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For what it's worth, mental health needs this kind of film. Most mental illnesses are still so stigmatized that being afflicted with one is a mark of shame rather than one of sympathy. Someone afflicted with cancer gets reassurance while someone crippled by depression gets told to suck it up. While I have no evidence, I think it stems from the popular idea of Cartesian dualism, but this comment is hardly the place for a rant against that.

      It's interesting in the sense that Pat Sr. seems to be dealing with his own mental demons as he deals with his son's. But I think you're right--what ultimately sells the film is that all of the actors are acutely aware of offering a sensitive portrayal of the characters. They don't funny them up or make them quirky. These are real people dealing with real issues as best they can.

      Delete
  3. I remember being rather annoyed with this movie until half way in when something happened. By the end quite liked it, but before then I had almost walked out on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was almost exactly my reaction. I wondered what the excitement was about until I got about halfway through and it all clicked.

      Delete
  4. I think that the »rough« first hour is needed to justify the »happy-happy« ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. The whole thing works even if the ending feels kind of like it shouldn't.

      Delete