Saturday, March 2, 2024

What I've Caught Up With, February 2024 Part 1

I ended February with a total of 65 movies watched on the year, which is one short of the pace to hit 400 for the year. Based on the last couple of years I’ve had, that’s actually surprisingly good. I took a bunch of films off the list in February—there’s a solid dozen that will be reviewed today and tomorrow, but a few of the full reviews I’ve put up this past month have been from the big list as well. Additionally, there are a few more that are likely to show up around Halloween. Honestly, I’m surprised I got this many watched. Look for more tomorrow.

What I’ve Caught Up With, February, 2024 Part 1:
Film: Angels and Insects (1995)

A very upsetting period drama puts naturalist William Adamson (Mark Rylance), nearly destroyed by a shipwreck on his return from the Amazon, in the home of a benefactor (Jeremy Kemp). He becomes enamored of the man’s daughter, Eugenia (Patsy Kensit), but forms a more intellectual bond with the estate’s nanny, Matty Crompton (Kristin Scott Thomas). The drama and romances are played over the top of William and Matty crafting a book on an ant colony behind the estate. It’s a wildly underseen film, perhaps not as good as I think it is, but I find it very affecting, tragic, and in the end, quite uplifting.

Film: She Said (2022)

When the #MeToo movement started, there was a sense that it was going to snowball and keep going. She Said is specifically about the case built against movie producer Harvey Weinstein by reporters Megan Twohey (Carey Mulligan) and Jodi Kantor (Zoe Kazan). It’s reminiscent in many ways of Spotlight from a few years ago, and not simply because it takes place in large part in a news office. The revelation here is not the work that went into tracking down the story, but the depths of depravity of Weinstein and the decades of abuse this case represented. This probably should have gotten more play as a film, and honestly, I’m a little surprised by the lack of Oscar play this got.

Film: Coma (1978)

A medical thriller, Coma involves a conspiracy to supply human organs to the black market. Essentially, patients go in for minor surgery and have an adverse reaction to the anesthesia and never wake up. Dr. Susan Wheeler (Geneviève Bujold) starts to investigate when her best friend becomes comatose in a routine operation, and is eventually assisted by her boyfriend, Dr. Mark Bellows (Michael Douglas). This more or less goes in the direction you expect—it feels like a medical version of Douglas’s movie The China Syndrome in a lot of ways. It’s a decent thriller, and there is a tremendous horror moment in a freezer filled with bodies. It features a great cast, including Richard Widmark and Rip Torn as well as early film roles for Tom Selleck and Ed Harris.

Film: Forty Guns (1957)

This is a pretty standard Western involving a woman (Barbara Stanwyck) who runs a county with an iron hand. While her brother (John Ericson) runs roughshod over the locals, a marshal (Barry Sullivan) and his brothers (Gene Barry and Robert Dix) ride into town. There’s a lot here that feels like a sort of budget Gunfight at the OK Corral, with the marshal and his brothers serving as a sort of poor man’s Earp brothers, down to more or less what happens to them. This is toward the end of Stanwyck’s career, but before her stint on The Big Valley on television so it serves as kind of a lead-in to Stanwyck on horseback. It’s not great, but it’s short and Barbara Stanwyck is always worth your time.

Film: Compliance (2012)

In what seems like a modern day retelling of the Stanley Milgram experiments from 1948, Compliance is an ugly story that is legitimately based on a true event. A young woman (Dreama Walker) working at a fast food establishment (a McDonald’s in the actual story) is accused over the phone of stealing from a customer. The store’s manager (Ann Dowd) complies with everything she is told to do by the “officer” on the phone—strip searching, forcing a young girl to be watched by men, and more. And, naturally, some of those men are going to be happy to follow the instructions of the cops into some disturbing and illegal places. This is filmed as tastefully as possible, and based on what happens, that wasn’t easy to do. Compliance is a good reminder that we seem to be wired to follow authority and we probably shouldn’t be.

Film: The Limey (1999)

I’m not sure what the fascination is with British gangster pics, but that’s what The Limey is. Wilson (Terrence Stamp) finds out his daughter has died in LA under mysterious circumstances, and so he goes to find out what happened to her. What he finds is a music producer named Valentine (Peter Fonda), who is clearly dirty and well-protected. That’s pretty much it—it’s a straight revenge picture as Terrence Stamp works his way through California looking for answers. Like the old saying about life, this is nasty, brutish, and short. Lesley Ann Warren and Luis Guzmán round out the cast for what is a simple exercise in quick, effective violence.

6 comments:

  1. With the exception of Coma and She Said as I haven't seen those, I really like a lot of those picks with Forty Guns being the best of the bunch as I feel like it's one of Samuel Fuller's great films. I love Samuel Fuller based on the films I've seen from him so far. Compliance is so discomforting to watch while I love The Limey. Angels and Insects is an underrated film that needs to be restored and re-shown as it's considered a lost film in a lot of ways. Seeing Patsy Kensit nude is a treat but I was more into Mark Rylance's relationship with Kristin Scott Thomas which was the heart of the film for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean it when I say that you've likely already seen Coma and She Said. Coma really is a lot like The China Syndrome, or possibly Silkwood. She Said is very much like Spotlight.

      I saw Angels and Insects years and years ago and have wanted to rewatch it for ages. It took like a month for it to show up when I asked for it at the library. It's really hard to find. I'd love for it to be better known but for some reason, it's impossible to locate.

      Delete
  2. While I thought Coma was a decent, involving film it was missing some extra element that would have elevated it from very good to great. It wasn’t the fault of the cast however. It was interesting to see Genevieve Bujold in a role that you wouldn’t necessarily think of her automatically filling and she does well by it. Also, nice that she is the main protagonist, not Michael Douglas. Few do maliciousness as well as Richard Widmark although Elizabeth Ashley throws off her own disturbing vibes as the ice queen nurse guarding the facility. I remember Selleck’s small part but not Ed Harris’s, it’s been a while since I’ve seen the film though.

    As you said any time spent with Barbara Stanwyck is time well spent. While Forty Guns is actiony and fast paced it is also routine overall, but she gives it some zest. It benefits as well from being in black and white. Since Barbara steadfastly refused to color her hair the extensive gray in it photographs as blonde making the 20 years gap between she and “brother” John Ericson less pronounced. Not a bad flick but hardly an essential for her.

    I neither loved nor hated The Limey but it did provide a fine showcase for Terence Stamp to do his highly effective intense thing. He’s not the whole show but most of it.

    She Said is on my to see list but I have zero interest in Angels and Insects. I know Ann Dowd received heaps of praise (she is a fine actress and I’m sure it’s deserved) but everyone I know who has seen Compliance described it as dark and unpleasant. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'd be curious to your take on Angels and Insects only because I think I like it a lot more than it deserves. I'm oddly fascinated by it, mostly because of the nature of the relationships in the film.

      I would agree that Compliance is dark and unpleasant, and had it been just that I would have passed on it, too. The fact that it is based on an actual event--and the actual event is in many ways far more disturbing than what happens in the film--made it feel like something I had to see.

      I agree on Coma as well. It's good, but not great. There's something that prevents it from being great. It's a nice little thriller, but aside from the medical angle, there's nothing really new here.

      As for Forty Guns, I'm always happy to spend any time I can with the divine Babs, who I have long called my classic movie girlfriend.

      Delete
  3. Compliance made me want to throw my TV across the room. I don't think I could ever watch that movie again. I'm mad just remembering it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Stanley Goddam Milgram is in his grave saying, "I told you so."

      Delete