Thursday, October 3, 2013

No Truer Title

Film: Amour
Format: DVD from Rockford Public Library on laptop.

I’m doing this to myself two days in a row. Yesterday, I got all weepy over an animated film for children because it ended in the most bittersweet way I could imagine. Today, I’m weepy for the exact same reason, but Amour is no film for kids. It is, as the title suggests, a film about love—about real, true, and deep love.

I want to be clear on this. Amour is not about movie love, the kind that makes someone do something embarrassing and foolish to win the girl of his dreams or chase someone halfway across the world because of an infatuation. This is about the real thing, the pain, the sacrifice, what it really means to truly love someone and love them more than you love your own life. It’s about the terrible (in its original sense) power that love can hold over us and what love will cause us to do when it is all that matters to us.

Like many films, Amour opens with the ending. Police break into an apartment and find the body of a woman surrounded by flowers on her bed. From this, we see the months preceding this eventual conclusion. The story is that of Anne (Emmanuelle Riva) and Georges (Jean-Louis Trintignant), an old married couple. Both are retired piano teachers, and as the story begins, we see them attending a concert given by a former student.

The next morning, at breakfast, Anne suffers a stroke in complete silence. Neither of them are sure what has happened; she suddenly becomes unable to speak or communicate for a few minutes. Medical tests reveal a blockage in her carotid artery, but the surgery is not successful, and Anne becomes paralyzed down her right side.

Anne’s greatest fear is returning to the hospital or winding up in a home, and George promises her that he will take care of her rather than subject her to that. Despite his willingness to take care of her and deal with her physical therapy, Anne becomes depressed over the state of her life and wants to die. A second stroke leaves her almost completely incapacitated and unable to speak. Their daughter Eva (Isabelle Huppert) tries to convince Georges to have her placed in an institution since he cannot properly care for her, but he maintains that he made a promise never to abandon her in that way. He hires a nurse to help, and temporarily employs a second nurse to take some of the load, but the demands of caring for Anne properly are impossible for him and are also a terrible mental and emotional strain.

Like a lot of Michael Haneke’s work that I’ve seen, Amour is designed to be emotionally difficult. But it’s also different from other Haneke films with which I am familiar. Funny Games played with the audience’s expectations and sensibilities. The White Ribbon played with notions of guilt and innocence. Amour is brutally emotional, open and raw, but it also displays a depth of emotion and of tenderness that I didn’t expect from Haneke. I expected difficult to sit through. I didn’t expect it to be so difficult because of the emotional attachment to the characters.

There’s a myth, probably based in reality somewhere, about an old couple, one of whom dies. The other follows in death a week later, unable to survive. That’s the sort of love that Amour is about, a love so deep and enduring and powerful that it transcends everything else.

It’s also a film about dignity. While we see very little of Anne where she isn’t physically affected by her condition, it’s evident that this is a woman of enormous personal dignity. Her illness has stripped this away from her, leaving her almost infantile. It’s a terrible thing, the sort of thing on which nightmares are based. Suddenly, after a lifetime, she is unable to care for herself in even the smallest way or communicate her needs. It’s mortifying and terrible, and extremely human and real. That it is so real is what makes it so terrible.

The film is also smart enough to not force us to see Anne go through many of her issues. They simply happen off screen and we see the results. Suddenly she is paralyzed on one side and we learn though conversation that the operation on her carotid artery has not worked. She goes from being in a motorized wheelchair to suddenly being bedridden with a second stroke, one that we (thankfully) do not have to witness.

I’ve said before that I’ve never liked a single character played by Isabelle Huppert, and that holds true for Amour as well. Don’t take that to mean that I dislike her as an actor or that I dislike every film she is in because that’s simply not the case. She plays characters that are easy for me to dislike and does it damn well more often than not. That’s the case here, too, although this is the closest I've ever come to sympathizing with the character she plays; I understand Eva even if she is incapable of understanding her father. I can’t fathom why she didn’t merit an Oscar nod. The same can be said of Jean-Louis Tringitnant, who has never been better. Georges suffers everything Anne does with the added weight of being responsible for her, and it’s evident just how much all of this ages him in the course of the film.

And then there is Emmanuelle Riva in one of the most heartbreaking performances I have ever experienced. I have no way to express how affecting her performance is. It must be witnessed.

This says it all.

Why to watch Amour: It is one of the most beautiful and painful things ever made.
Why not to watch: There’s still all that damn dust around here preventing me from answering.

15 comments:

  1. Skipped most of this because I haven't seen it yet, but I will definitely say that I very much WANT to see this and I am glad that it gets the Steve Seal of Approval, even through all the tears.

    Since "Red," I've become much more interested in Trintignant's career, and I'm more than intrigued by Haneke's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll appreciate it. I'm not sure how much it's possible to actually like Haneke's work.

      Delete
    2. I've only seen 2 Haneke films thus far. And both of them were Funny Games. I *hated* the US version. I actually really, surprisingly, liked the original version.

      Delete
    3. I haven't seen the American version. I can't say I liked the original, but I got it and I think it's a smart film.

      Delete
  2. I've heard descriptions of this film as not really a film, but more like a documentary where you just watch someone slowly die for 2 hours. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...kinda? There's a lot of necessity to read between the lines on some of it to understand what people are thinking without them saying it. It's a lot more than that, really.

      Delete
  3. Agree Amour is different from other Haneke films, and that Emmanuelle Riva's performance is great(should have won oscar). The last 30 minutes were the most involving for me, the metaphor of the bird in the flat was beautifully done, and of course the events which I won’t reveal.
    I didn't get into the opening 90 minutes as much as you did, though, which I found lacking in story and characterization. I can appreciate that it depicts old age, I just wasn’t touched by it. As you say, it goes for intimate tender moments, I just felt the personalities of the old couple were not fleshed out enough. True enough we can read between the lines to understand them, but for me, past wounds are only hinted at, there was not enough to get my teeth into. Happy you got something out of it, SJ. Maybe I just wasn't ready for this movie, I'll try it again when I'm older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be that I was willing to read more into the relationship. I've been married for a long time (22 years and counting), so it wasn't that difficult for me to put myself into the position of those characters and let my mind work from there.

      Delete
  4. Of the Haneke films I've seen this is the one I've liked the best. I agree that Riva does a terrific job and that Trintignant does, too. I also agree that Huppert once again does unlikable well.

    I don't think I was affected by this quite as much as you. I was fully expecting the action the husband takes from quite early in the movie, so there were times when I was just a little impatient for the film to get there. The scene with the bird, for instance, felt like indulgence by the director rather than something integral to the film. Those are minor quibbles, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen five of the nine films nominated for Best Picture in the most recent Oscars. Right now, this would've been my pick, with the other four still unseen. Argo would be my #2.

      Delete
    2. While I liked Amour, I had it in the middle of the pack. Here's my post where I ranked all nine nominees. I also included the two Rotten Tomatoes scores, as well as their IMDB rankings:

      http://www.tipsfromchip.blogspot.com/2013/02/ranking-2013-best-picture-nominees-plus.html

      Delete
    3. It resonated with me. I've seen similar stories play out in my family (not to that conclusion, but...) so it was something that really hit home.

      Delete
  5. I don't know why I resisted Amour for so long. Watching Amour for two hours is much much better than going through it with my father. For the last three years, I visited him at the hospice for three or four hours, six or seven days a week.

    Great movie! Riva was great. I don't think I've seen her in a movie before. I've been a fan of Trintignant since I saw The Conformist (about 1990) and he delivers here, as usual.

    And I adore Isabelle Huppert. Every time she walked onscreen, I kind of forgot what I was watching and thought "Dang! Isabelle Huppert is so sexy."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riva is wonderful in this, and she was my choice for Best Actress for this year.

      Blue is tremendous (my favorite of the Three Colors Trilogy), and you can see a much younger version of her in Hiroshima Mon Amour.

      Delete
    2. I've seen Hiroshima Mon Amour but it's been a while and I don't remember it very well. As a matter of fact, I don't remember it at all. (I do remember how I felt about it though, and I'm not particularly keen on watching it again.)

      Delete